Saturday, May 14, 2005

SUN AND BLUE SKIES MAKE ME HAPPY

.......... it was raining on Wednesday, when I went on my first sailing trip, which wasn't really one because there wasn't any wind. First lesson: one cannot sail when there is no wind.
It was a good afternoon, though, getting soaked, still moving from port to starboard every 5 Minutes or so wiping down the wet parts of the boat...
After that we had a BBQ at the yacht club, and strangely enough our boat got a price (bottle of rum) because it's been the FASTEST????? Yeah.

Then on Thursday all of the sudden the sky broke and we had sun, sun, sun. I went on a daytrip to Port Douglas, with Stef and Julia. Picked up Kashy at he airport Thursday night. Went out. I don't like eating in pubs. There's so much you have to do. Order food. Order drinks. Get them to the table. Jump up every time your beeper beeps and get your food. I almost started to clean up the table afterwards, because it's hard to believe that they would waste money on people doing that!

Friday Kashy, Stef and I went to another beach close by, it's kind of a retirement place, but nice. Nets in the sea again, so you can swim, because there are crocodiles in the sea. Until now I lived with the believe that there are no crocodiles in any sea anywhere. Australia is such a dangerous place!
Became very antisocial for the rest of the day, because I started reading "The Coma" by Alex Garland and didn't stop until I finished it. It's about the brain, reality and fiction. What is real..... what isn't. How important is reality. I enjoyed it.
In the evening I took myself out to the ballet. Got cheap tickets to see "Sleeping beauty" and discovered that her name was Aurora, like the boat I work on at the moment. I didn't know that the sleeping beauty was called Aurora, I thought she was called sleeping beauty??? :-) (oder Dornroeschen, wie Schneeweisschen, Zitronengelbchen und Brokkoligruenchen.....)
It was nice, not as good as the SF ballet (what do I expect?), but nice for a change, especially after me complaining there's nothing like that in Australia the other day.

Saturday I went to look for a birthday present for Stef. And good bye present. Stef is going. This is so exciting. She is going on a sailing boat, about 35 foot long, which leaves Australia tomorrow morning, one day after her 22nd birthday, to go via all kind of funky island like the Coco Island and Mauritius first, then to South Africa. They probably stop at some places there, too, and want to be in England by October. I'm so very excited for her, even jealous, and I am generally not really jealous about whatever people are doing, because I think that my life is exciting enough... :-) But I am so happy for her, the crew (2 more) seems to be very nice, and the boat is comfortable and nice. She's gonna have a great time! And it's her birthday today aswell! HAPPY BIRTHDAY STEF! What a girl, leaves Australia after 17 months to go right into the next adventure and sail half way round the world, just after turning 22... yeah, what a girl... :-)
So, yeah, I got her birthday present, and in the afternoon we were going to Julia's new place, she moved into a house which reminds me a lot of the warehouse in San Francisco. We had a good party going on until late at night.
Sunday was Stef's last day in Cairns. She flew out last night to go to Darwin, where "Mystic Lady" was waiting for her to jump on board. It was a sad day. I got a call in the moning which made me worry about a person I love and then my little travel Angle left me....
Brony and Em moved into a house yesterday as well and I am really happy they finally got that sorted out. It's a nice place and Em has a tiny little garden to look after.
Cleaned up my lovely car this morning which was a really relaxing thing to do, then went to the laguna with Bron and we had a good chat, then Silvie called and we got really excited about travelling down the West coast together in October, and now I go and see Julia to get some useful :-) information about it. AND I am going to the movies tonight, after I haven't been -------- forever. Little things which make you happy....
Will be on my way back to Airlie tomorrow morning, back to the sleeping beauty.... I look forward to the trip, and I'm ready for some more work then as well.
Bye everybody, I'll be back with some pics.
Jeanine
xxx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home