Saturday, October 29, 2005

BEFORE ALL THAT….

We drove 3 days through the dessert. It was fascinating. Hot. Wide. Sometimes boring. Sometimes I was scared. Sometimes I was a little agoraphobic. Sometimes Silvia told so many stories about New York, that everything seemed to be very surreal. At times I could only drive about 80 km/hour (50 miles/hour), because my car got hot again, the old lady….. Then again I thought, what if she suddenly decides that she doesn’t want to run at all anymore??? She’s 28 years now, she could be that moody… but she’s a good girl!
The smell of kangoroo cadaver, very strong to bearable, depending on when the kangoroo has been run over, most of the time by road trains, was there all the time. Also the voltures circulating around them, or "sitting down for lunch"...
I couldn’t believe that there were actually people decide to live there. On a cattle farm or a roadhouse, with NOTHING around in a circle of 400km. How different we can live our lives, it amazes me again and again.

Last night we arrived in Darwin. When I jumped into the pool here, I was certain that I haven’t spend so much time in pools and water in my life than the last 3 days. I don’t mean AT pools, but IN pools. And that there’s many things you can do IN a pool apart from swimming. You can read books, drink wine, make up little competitions, jump, dive, watch the trees, converse, meditate, sleep. ……
We got a room with AC, cheap, and so luxurious for us! We probably experience everything so much hotter because the car doesn’t have AC and we never really get the chance to cool down.
Our car is getting a service here tomorrow, and then we can head South again.
I’m having a great time and enjoying the loss of the feeling for time and space. Life can be too easy! Even when it’s hot…..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home